Orig. Code(s): KC
Community Involvement in Decision Making
The Board endorses the concept that community participation in school affairs is essential if the school system and the community are to maintain mutual confidence and respect and work together to improve the quality of education for students. It therefore intends to exert every effort to identify the desires of the community and to be responsive, through its actions, to those desires.
All citizens of the district will be encouraged to express their ideas, concerns and judgments about the schools through such means as:
1. Written suggestion(s) or proposals;
2. Presentations at hearings;
3. Responses to surveys made through interviews, written instruments or other means;
4. Comments at meetings of the Board; and
5. Service on citizens advisory committees, school improvement team and/or 21st Century Schools Council.
The advice of the public will be given careful consideration. In the evaluation of such advice, the first concern will be for the educational program as it affects students. The Board’s final decisions may depart from this advice when, in the judgment of the staff and the Board, such advice is not consistent with goals adopted by the Board, with good educational practice, or within reach of the financial resources available.
END OF POLICY
BCF - Advisory Committees to the Board
BDDH - Public Participation in Board Meetings
BDE - Public Hearings
IFCA - 21st Century Schools Councils