The Board is responsible to the people for whose benefit the district has been established. Further, the Board’s current decisions will influence the course of education in the district’s schools for years to come. By virtue of this responsibility, the Board and each of its members must look to the future and to the needs of all district citizens. This requires a comprehensive perspective and long-range planning in addition to addressing immediate problems.
The Board’s primary responsibility is to establish those policies, purposes, programs and procedures which will best produce educational achievement. The Board is charged with accomplishing this while also being responsible for wise management of resources available to the district. The Board must fulfill these responsibilities by functioning primarily as a legislative body to formulate and adopt policy, by selecting an executive office to implement policy and by evaluating the results. Further, it must carry out its functions openly, while seeking the involvement and contributions of public, students and staff in its decision-making process.
In accordance with these principles, the Board will seek to achieve the following goals:
1. To concentrate the Board’s collective effort on its policy-making and planning responsibilities;
2. To formulate Board policies which best serve the educational interests of each student;
3. To provide the superintendent with sufficient and adequate guidelines for implementing Board policies;
4. To maintain effective communication with students, staff and the public to maintain awareness of attitudes, opinions, desires and ideas;
5. To conduct Board business openly, soliciting and encouraging broad-based involvement in the Board’s decision-making process by public, students and staff.
Board goals will be reviewed annually and revised as needed.
END OF POLICY