The fundamental purpose for requiring punctuality and regular school attendance is to help students develop habits of responsibility. These habits will help students succeed in education and/or in their chosen vocation. Failure and frustration with the high school experience is often associated directly with irregular attendance.
Goals and objectives of the attendance requirements in the district are to:
1. Contribute to the academic success of students.
2. Inform parents about the class attendance and/or nonattendance of their students.
3. Place the responsibility for attendance in the hands of students and their parents.
4. Assist students in making decisions and accepting the responsibilities and consequences resulting from those decisions.
5. Stress that punctual and regular attendance is a learned function necessary in coping with life.
6. Stress attendance may impact grades and credit.
7. Meet Oregon graduation requirements.
Each school shall notify parents/guardians by the end of the school day if their child has an unplanned
absence. The notification will be either in person, by telephone or another method identified in writing by the parent/guardian. If the parent/guardian cannot be notified by the above methods, a message shall be left, if possible.
The Board directs the superintendent to develop rules and regulations which meet these objectives and to publish those rules and regulations annually for students and their parents.
END OF POLICY
ORS 336.010 ORS 339.260
ORS 339.020 ORS 339.055
ORS 339.030 OAR 581-021-0050
ORS 339.065 OAR 581-022-1130