Except when exempt by Oregon law, all students ages 7-18 who have not completed the 12th grade are required to attend school full-time on a regular basis at the designated school within the attendance area.
Persons having legal control of a student ages 7-18 who has not completed the 12th grade are required to have the student attend school. Under the superintendent’s direction and supervision, attendance supervisors shall monitor and report any violation of the compulsory attendance law to the superintendent or designee. Failure to send a student and to maintain a student in regular attendance is a Class C violation and is punishable by a citation up to $150.
The district will develop procedures for issuing a citation.
A parent who is not supervising his/her student by requiring school attendance may also be in violation of ORS 163.577 (1)(c). Failing to supervise a child is a Class A violation and punishable by a fine up to $600.
In addition, under policy JHFDA - Suspension of Driving Privileges, the district may report students with 10 consecutive days unexcused absence or 15 cumulative days unexcused absence in a single semester to the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Exemptions from Compulsory School Attendance
In the following cases, students shall not be required to attend public schools full-time:
1. Students being taught in a private or parochial school in courses of study usually taught in grades 1-12 in the public schools and in attendance for a period equivalent to that required of students attending public schools.
2. Students proving to the Board’s satisfaction that they have acquired the courses of study taught in grades 1-12 in the public schools.
3. Students being taught by a private teacher the courses of study usually taught in grades 1-12 in the
public school for a period equivalent to that required of students attending public schools.
4. Students being educated in the home by a parent.
5. Students excluded from attendance as provided by law.
6. An exemption may be granted to the parent of any student 16 or 17 years of age who is lawfully employed full-time, lawfully employed part-time and enrolled in school, a community college or alternative education program as defined in ORS 336.615.
END OF POLICY
ORS 153.018 ORS 339.990 OAR 581-021-0026
ORS 163.577 ORS 807.065 OAR 581-021-0029
ORS 336.615 - 336.665 ORS 807.066 OAR 581-021-0071
ORS 339.010 - 339.090 ORS 809.410 (40) OAR 581-021-0077